20. November 2015 08:03
API Technologies has re-engaged with a leader in medical device manufacturing by supplying ceramic assemblies for the next generation of pacemaker designs for their internal defibrillator program. Through a solid development program and our previous experience with the medical device pioneer, API’s EIS group will support the program with their custom engineered solutions to be included in their devices. The integrated planar housing assembly will be a crucial component in the overall design and these new pacemakers will save lives! API is extremely proud of this development and will continue to keep pace with the industry and its advancements and look forward to being a key element in the future of medical applications.
19. November 2015 10:07
API Technologies’ line of MIL-PRF-49470 qualified and DSCC 87106 certified Switch Mode Power Supply capacitors are designed to provide superior performance in high frequency switching applications. These capacitors are ideal for high energy density products found in both military and commercial markets.
17. November 2015 11:27
Discoidal feed-through ceramic capacitors are the building blocks of the EMI filter industry. API Technologies discoidial capacitors provide great versatility in meeting varied voltage, capacitance and dimensional requirements. Our non-polar, multi-layer capacitors are small, reliable and high in dielectric strength. Operational temperatures of –55°C to +125°C are achieved with no voltage de-rating. The versatile nature of our discoidals makes them ideally suited for by-pass and filtering applications. Due to their low inductance construction, these capacitors perform extremely well in high frequency applications. The circular geometry of a discoidal feed-through capacitor offers many paths to ground, resulting in lower impedance and better filtering performance. The low profile and rugged design of our discoidal capacitors offer an excellent alternative to ceramic tubes.
Planar Ceramic Capacitors
API Technologies designs and manufactures a wide range of Planar Array Capacitors for EMI filtering. Built using over 25 years expertise in multi-layer ceramic capacitor manufacturing, planar capacitors offer many advantages over stand-alone chip, discoidal or tubular capacitors: low profile, compact, quick assembly time. Various custom and industry standard geometries are available. Designs can incorporate multiple capacitance values, feed-thru holes and ground holes. With a combination of versatility and function, planar ceramic capacitors are quickly becoming the new standard in filtered connectors used in EMI suppression applications.
Tubular Ceramic Capacitors
API Technologies manufactures a wide variety of tubular ceramic capacitors, which are small in size, lightweight, non-polar and offer high dielectric strength. Operating temperatures of –55°C to +125°C are achieved with no voltage de-rating. All ceramic capacitors are fired to produce true monolithic structures, which are impervious to moisture and contamination. Outer terminations feature a nickel barrier and a final metal layer, typically silver.
We offer many variations of tubular capacitors to fit your custom application:
- Various OD, ID and length configurations
- Square tubes for surface mount applications
- Lapped feed-thru capacitors
- Custom style capability
17. November 2015 09:24
API Technologies has been making ceramic capacitors in the USA for nearly 50 years. During those five decades, API has established itself as a leading designer and manufacturer of high reliability advanced ceramics, producing over 20 million pieces per year. Our engineering team, comprised of ceramics manufacturing industry experts, combine with sophisticated research and development practices to create high quality advanced ceramics.
Explore our ceramic capabilities, then contact us to learn more.
16. November 2015 09:48
API Technologies' extensive line of standard and custom ceramic capacitors can be used for a wide variety of applications, including EMI/RFI suppression filters, medical implantable devices, commercial, power supplies and converters, as well as for military applications as many of these ceramics are Mil-PRF-49470 qualified, and made to DSCC 87106 standards. Keep following the blog all this week to learn more about API's Ceramics offerings and capabilities.
Learn more about API's Ceramics, request a quote, or contact us.
27. October 2015 13:56
API's High Performance RF & Microwave Filters and Filter Assemblies draw upon a 60 year heritage in the design and manufacture of reliable solutions that enhance system performance. Our extensive design library and multi-disciplined engineering team can customize any of our filter solutions to your desired specifications. API’s filter products are found in many defense and electronic warfare systems as well as in the wireless telecom industry.
7. October 2015 09:25
Prisons and other correctional facilities are facing an increasingly daunting technological challenge. Contraband cell phones smuggled in by prisoners pose a tremendous security threat to the safety of both staff and inmates alike. While security screenings are designed to identify and dispose of such contraband before it enters a secure facility, at times these phones can slip through the cracks and end up in a cell along with an inmate. Correctional facilities are in need of a solution that prevents contraband cell phones from being used from within the prison walls. The Communications Band Signal Jamming Power Amplifier from API Technologies is that solution. The amplifier operates on the standard communication band frequencies, jamming cell phone signals and rendering the phones inoperable.
Learn more about the Signal Jamming Power Amplifier or request a quote.
An alternate version of this post originally appeared on Wireless Design & Development
5. October 2015 10:23
API Technologies’ wide bandwidth and high efficiency Power Amplifiers operate up to 26 GHz, with output levels from 500mW to 1Kw. Using innovative semiconductor technologies and the latest manufacturing techniques, our full line of high performance power amplifier modules, drivers and subsystems are designed to user specifications and ideal for applications such as military communications, radar, commercial aerospace and broadband jamming.
Learn more at micro.apitech.com/high-power-amplifiers or request a quote.
28. September 2015 14:42
API Technologies’ mixer product line covers frequency ranges from 0.5 MHz to 26.5 GHz and is available in both double or triple balanced configurations. Available in many industry-standard surface mount, drop-in and connectorized housings, our mixers use high-performance monolithic diodes for superior isolation and low loss as well as rugged duroid construction for proven performance against thermal dynamics and shock. Competitive lead times, consistent delivery, and alternate models to other major mixer suppliers are available off-the-shelf.
Learn more at http://micro.apitech.com/mixer.aspx or request a quote.
2. September 2015 09:50
Traditionally the Oil & Gas industry used Printed Circuit Board (PCB) technology for down well, high-temperature electronics. As demands for higher reliability, longer life and durability in high temperatures in deep well drilling increases, it has been proven that conventional PCBs are no longer a viable solution. Consequently, the industry is now embracing bare die in multi-chip module solutions (MCMs) in order to fully satisfy these requirements. However, some customers are weary of making the switch to a hybrid solution after relying on PCBs for so long and they often have concerns regarding costs, flexibility, and customisation. Here are a few questions customers frequently ask while contemplating transitioning to a hybrid solution.
Q: How do you justify the cost of switching to hybrids?
A: The transition to hybrid technology is often not driven by cost consideration. There are many reasons for adoption of hybrids:
- Improved reliability
- Improved performance – electrical and thermal
- Significant size reduction
- Ability to withstand harsh environments, including mechanical shock and vibration, temperature extremes and rapid temperature transitions
- Improved electrical screening
- Extended in-service life reduces total life cost
Q: What are the typical lead-times?
A: There is normally a 20 week design cycle followed by 6 weeks for manufacture.
Q: Can MCM’s be reworked?
A: Rework processes are certified, qualified, and embrace a wide range of capabilities, including:
- De-lid of module with subsequent hermetic re-lid after repair, and with usual fine and gross leak testing to verify the integrity of the seal
- Semiconductor die removal and replacement
- Passive component (resistors, capacitors and inductors) removal and replacement
- Wire bond replacement
- Thick film track repair with wire bonds or adhesives
- Module can be re-sealed and re-tested
Q: How do you hybridise an existing PCB for high temperature operation?
A: There are several steps involved with customising an existing PCB in order to make it suitable for extremely high temperatures:
- Supply the current BOM & Schematic: API will check bare die availability by taking the list of active components and checking with the OEM manufacturers if the part is available in bare die form required for C&W. API will provide feedback alternatives where necessary and work with you to fill any gaps in the circuit.
- Define your environmental specification: These specifications can include storage / operating temperature, shock & vibration requirements. API will check qualification data and confirm we have the required proven packaging techniques for your application, giving you confidence in the robustness of our packaging solution.
- Define the space envelope: API will then perform an analysis based on your circuit to ensure we can physically fit the electronics in the space provided.
- Define the package and I/O requirements: How will we mount the electronics in your tool? API designs custom mechanical package concepts that can remove the need for carrier PCBs not suitable for high temperatures. I/O density is challenging in high temperature applications as often it can only be realised on the smaller of two sides of the package wall. API will review your I/O requirements and limitations and confirm if achievable.
- Convert the passives: Solderable termination / low temperature surface mount parts will need changing for high temperature and adhesive attach suitable for incorporation in a hybrid. API can print high temperature thick film resistors and recommend manufacturers with proven reliability.
- Define your qualification plan: With no industry standards in place, how do you know what is best? API has an independent UKAS test house with experience in high temperature qualification plans, and we are able to review your environmental specifications and assist in defining a qualification plan.
Learn more about API’s high temperature hybrids and electronics at Offshore Europe 2015 at Stand 5B60 or visit http://micro.apitech.com/high-temperature-electronics to request a quote or contact us.